Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I got a Greenhouse!

After my last travel experience, I am a little shy to travel again, and I have to go to Austin for my father in law's 90th birthday (how can I miss that?). I talked my husband into letting me get a little 5x5x6 greenhouse so that I could put all my plants in that, get water hooked up to them, and not have to worry about the house sitter neglecting the plants. So here's what I did:

  1. I had to uproot several of the sunflowers and peas, because the green house had to go where they were sitting. I was afraid that they would die, but so far they are doing ok.

  2. After I got the sunflowers situated, I started re-planting my jiffy pellets. I planted each seedling in a red plastic cup that you normally see used for parties. I left a few inches at the top so that the seedlings would have some room to grow without falling over.

  3. Then I dug holes in the ground under the soaker watering hoses and "planted" the cups. I did this a few days before I was to leave, so that I could monitor how my system would work.

  4. I realized that I wasn't going to have time to plant the landscaping plants I purchased (artichokes to replace some ugly shurbs in the front yard and blueberry bushes to replace some geraniums that weren't flowering) so I had to buy a shelf to put them on so I could put them inside the greenhouse--don't want them to die either!

  5. Then my husband had to rig up a watering system for the additional plants.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this is all going to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment